A chainwire fence (also referred to by a number of other names such as wire netting, wire-mesh fence, chain link fencing, cyclone fence or diamond-mesh fence) is a type of woven fence which is usually made from galvanized steel wire. The fence can also include a green or black coloured PVC coating.
The wires run vertically but are bent into a zig-zag pattern. This forms the diamond pattern seen in this type of fence.
There are three characteristics to be aware of when choosing a chainwire fence. These characteristics include the:
- Diamond size – the size of the link holes. The standard diamond sizes have a pitch of 60 and 50 but the diamond size can range from a pitch of 25 to a pitch of 100.
- Top and bottom (selvedge) of the fence – Can either be knuckle or barbed on either end depending on the application of use.
- Thickness of the wire – The wire comes in light or heavy thicknesses. Heavy thickness is used for a higher level of durability.
Why Choose Chainwire Fencing
- Security – Chain wire serves as an excellent security fence. Preventing unwanted animals and people from entering or exiting.
- Low Maintenance – Is highly durable and can withstand rugged conditions.
- Extensibility – Extensions can be added to the fence whilst maintaining existing style and type.
- Highly flexible – Chain wire fences can easily be fitted around existing building fixtures.
- PVC coated – As well as chain wire being galvanised, it is also available with a black or green coating to blend with the environment.
Chainwire fencing offers value for money and lends itself to a faster construction time.
Chainwire Fencing Applications
This method of fencing has stood the test of time and continues to be very popular. Chainwire fencing is used both residentially and commercially. Some of the applications of chainwire fencing include:
- Around tennis courts cricket practice nets and softball/baseball nets
- School Fencing
- Factory, office and industrial building site enclosures
- Internal factory partitions
- Animal fencing – keeping pets and children safe
- Where acreage fencing is required
Due to chainwire’s versatility, it serves as a popular choice of fence for a variety of applications.
It’s transparency means this type of fence is unobstrusive and will maintain a feeling of openness and space. PVC coated black chainwire is now very fashionable and looks great in a residential setting. To set the look of the fence off, add a top and bottom rail.